Monday, January 17, 2011

Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Tea Sandwiches

A few posts back I mentioned that I would find an occasion to make lobster salad. Well, I thought New Years Eve would be a perfect time, despite that I had nowhere to go and no one coming over. So that didn't happen.

What did happen were these delicious sandwiches.


These are from Cat Cora's cookbook Cat Cora's Classics With a Twist: Fresh Takes on Favorite Dishes. This is one of the 6 cookbooks I got for Christmas.

I don't particularly enjoy watching Cat Cora on Iron Chef America. I mean, I don't dislike watching her, but I prefer the others (except for Bobby Flay. I really don't like watching him. There's nothing original about making a tamale when you've done it for every freaking battle you're in. Ugh.). That said, her recipes are dang good. Like, wow. And simple, too.

Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Tea Sandwiches
8 oz brioche loaf (or baguette - I couldn't find brioche in my grocery store)
1 Tbsp wasabi from a tube or 1 1/2 tsp powdered wasabi (find this in the asian or ethnic foods section of your grocery store)
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
4-6 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
1 large cucumber, preferably English, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

1. Heat oven to 350. Cut bread into 12  1/2 inch thick slices. Toast in the oven for 2 minutes (I actually toasted mine for more like 10)
2. Combine the cream cheese and wasabi.
3. Spread about 1/2 tsp of the wasabi cream cheese in a thin, even layer on each piece of bread. Top with a slice of smoked salmon. Top with cucumber slices. Sprinkle with chives.

The end! For as good as these taste, they should not be this easy. Seriously. I even got someone who doesn't like fish to eat 3 or 4 of them.

These are so great as an appetizer at a party or get-together. But be warned - that wasabi is hot so use caution when you add it and don't add it all at once - add a little and taste. Make the level of heat appropriate for your guests.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment