Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sauce of the gods

This sauce is soooo good and so easy to make. It's really good just on plain pasta, or REALLY good when you put chicken breasts in a crockpot and put the sauce over them, and just let it cook all day. The chicken is moist and falls apart - I just put the chicken and sauce over pasta. So good.

Creamy Chive Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
1 pkg. Italian Dressing mix
1/2 c. white wine or chicken broth* (I prefer the taste the wine gives)
1 can golden mushroom soup
4 oz. chive and onion creem cheese

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined and smooth.

Alternative: If you don't feel like buying the chive and onion cream cheese, but have regular (or 1/3 reduced fat) cream cheese on hand instead, here's what you do: Cut up 1/4 cup of onion and a couple of tablespoons of fresh chives, or about1 tablespoon dried chives. After you melt the butter, put the onion in and cook it until it is softened, then follow the rest of the directions. Throw the chives in at the last minute and stir them around. (Fun fact: did you know you can buy fresh chives and freeze them? They freeze quite well, which saves you money!)

*I don't recommend using cooking wine. If that's all you have, cut it with chicken broth or water, about half and half.


I have made this several times and I have loved it every time, and so has everyone I have made it for. I didn't take a picture because, honestly, it's not an attractive sauce. It's much like beef stroganoff - it looks like someone threw up on a plate, but it tastes so good.

Happy eating!


By the way - the moms both liked their mother's day presents. I even made a matching blue flower corsage for my grandma, and all three of us are going to wear them on graduation day this Saturday.

Also - my laptop is about to die, thus I'm using it as little as possible, so I might not write much in the next couple of weeks. A new laptop is being made and shipped, though, and I expect it at the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment