Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Double Post - Crafts AND Recipe!


As mentioned in my previous post I have been really busy lately.

For one, a co-worker of mine was RIFed from her job, but luckily got a new one just one floor down. So, as a "new job!" sentiment, I made her a few things:



2 of the 3 of these things we've seen before; the summer scarf and the flower corsage. The new thing is a butterfly pillow, modified from the tutorial on Ruffles and Stuff.


Instead of covering the pillow with felt, I just used a charcoal gray broadcloth because a) it was cheaper and b) I liked the contrast of the gray with pink.



As you can probably tell, this person's favorite color is pink.

I think she appreciated the sentiment. I know she liked the corsage because when she came up to help the person who took over her job, she was wearing it. She says she likes the rest, but she's so nice that you can just never tell. Regardless, I'm happy to have done it.

So, in addition to all of these things, I also made myself a pair of black pants with light yellow pinstripes, and started on a secret project for my boyfriend and my 4-year anniversary (which, obviously I can't talk about because he reads this and it would TOTALLY give away the surprise that, really, he already knows about). And working a full time job. And trying to get started on my teaching stuff. And doing the grad school thing.

BUT. I did find the time to make some food for myself and my well-intentioned-but-often-broke boyfriend. We made taquitos! I adapted the recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 Minue Meals cookbook.

Taquitos

1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped                                   
2 tsp fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
1 4 oz. can green chiles
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
corn tortillas
vegetable oil (I use canola)

 Heat oven to 375 F. In a skillet/fryingpan/wok/shallow pan of some kind, put in about 1 inch of oil, and heat on medium-low (you don't want the oil to bubble and boil, but be hot). Combine first 8 ingredients. When the oil is hot enough, put in a tortilla to soften it, about 1 minute, turning if needed. The tortilla should bubble a bit, like so:

When the tortilla is soft, take it out of the oil and place it on some paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Then, fill the middle of tortilla with a couple of forkfuls of the meat mixture, like so:



Then wrap it as tightly as you can without tearing the tortilla, and place seam-side down in a baking dish. Repeat until all meat mixture is gone.



You should end up with about 12. When they're all wrapped, put the dish in the 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until hot and crisp on the edges.

Enjoy with chips and homemade salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment