Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Banana Muffins

Usually I post on Mondays, but Monday was Labor Day and you're not allowed to work on Labor Day. So I didn't.

But I'll post today.

Don't you hate seeing food go to waste? And doesn't it seem like bananas get a little too ripe before you can possibly eat them all? This is where a good banana muffin recipe comes in handy. Not only are they tasty and freeze really well, but they're really easy to make. Now you don't have an excuse to throw out those dark bananas.



Banana Muffins
makes 10-12 muffins


3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/8 tsp salt
Pinch of cinnamon

1. Mash the bananas with a fork and mix with the melted butter. Add egg and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to banana/butter/sugar/egg mixture.
3. Put about 1/4 cup of batter in each muffin cup. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
4. Now here's the trick to make the muffins stay extra moist: rather than have the muffins cool on a cooling rack, stick them in a gallon-size resealable bag, but don't close it. Leave them there until they cool, then seal the bag. You'll notice quite a bit of condensation - this is what keeps the muffins moist.



The whole thing with the resealable bag was something I found out on accident. I was running short on time and didn't want to throw out my bananas, so as soon as they came out of the oven I put them in a bag and left. What resulted were muffins with this almost gooey center, but were fully cooked. So delicious. The next time I made them I let them cool on the counter, and those muffins were much more dry. The next time I put them in a bag again and they were super moist and delicious.

These freeze very well. Just leave them in the resealable bag and throw them in the freezer. When you want on, just throw it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and you'll never know it was ever frozen.

By the way, this is the new house I keep talking about:
Well, the part that doesn't show the address anyway. I love having followers but I don't need anyone following that closely.

Also, the sky looked really neat a few minutes ago:

That's all for today. Check back on Thursday for the best brownie recipe ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment