Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chicken Chilaquiles

Simple, tasty, and great for lunch. I'm always looking for something I can easily pack away to take with me for lunch at work. It's especially great if one batch will make several meals so that I can freeze them and eat them when I'm in a rush. Enter: chicken chilaquiles.

Before anyone says anything, I realize this is not even close to authentic. I don't care. It's tasty and that's all that matters to me.

Here it is, all ready to go in a container for my lunch.

Chicken Chilaquiles
1 2 lb rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large can whole tomatoes in puree, pureed in food processor
1/2 small can green chiles
4 gloves (about 2 tsp) minced garlic
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
dash of chipotle chile powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add the processed tomatoes and green chiles. Bring to a boil.
3. Add chicken stock, cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook until the chicken is hot, about 1 minute. Add cilantro and stir.

Now, traditionally you serve this over a bowl with tortilla chips. I don't like soggy tortilla chips so I just scoop it out with a tortilla chip, using the chip as my utensil. It's delicious. You can also top it with sour cream and/or cheese.

Also, like most soups and stews, this is better the next day because the flavors get a better chance to meld. So if you can, make it in advance and eat it later.

1 comment: