Monday, September 13, 2010

Oh Boy.

Whew. The last few days have been...busy.

Let's start with Friday. Mom stayed home sick on Friday. After work I was with Garrick and we had dinner, dessert, and a movie since it was date night. After the movie, around 9 pm I text my mom to see how she's feeling. Then I get a call from dad saying they're in the minor emergency. Turns out mom stayed home because she had been having pains in her side all night and couldn't sleep. But the pain was just getting worse. After 4 vials of blood, a urine sample, and a CT scan, it was determined she had appendicitis and would have to have her appendix out that night. This wasn't determined until around 12:30 am, she was transported to the main hospital around 1 am. At 2 am I went home to get some sleep (I had been up since 5:30 am that morning). Got home around 2:30. Showered, got to bed around 3. At 6 am dad calls to say that mom is going into surgery. At 8:45 he calls and says she is in recovery and when can I come with her requested breakfast drink. So after being up half the night, and not sleeping well I got up, got ready, and went to the hospital where I stayed until about 1 when I had to take Garrick back to his car so he could go to work.

I took a nap, then started cleaning. Usually mom cleans the upstairs and I clean the downstairs, but obviously mom wasn't going to be able to do any cleaning which means it is up to me. I don't mind, it's just that the house is some 4,000 square feet, which takes a long, long time to clean. That's pretty much all I did until about 8 when my friend and her boyfriend came over. Mom got to come home that night and she made it back around 9 pm.

Sunday I got up and made breakfast (pancakes, bacon, poached eggs). Then more cleaning. Then errands. Then cook dinner. Then more cleaning.

So anyway. Interesting and busy weekend. Which means my posts for the week aren't done, and to be honest I didn't put much thought into them.

So for today I'll give you my go-to recipe for pancakes. No Bisquick allowed.

Pancakes
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (for a healthier alternative, use 3/4 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour)
1 1/4 cup milk
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp salt or less

Combine all ingredients. Pour out 1/4 cup per pancake and cook on a griddle or skillet. I like to use utensils to cook them in the shape of a heart or cloud. Sorry to say I don't have pictures (like I said, I wasn't all that focused on my blog this past weekend). This makes about 10 pancakes.

Honestly, though, pancakes were one of the first things I learned to make and I have tried so many different recipes, and this is the one I like best. It has an almost sugar cookie taste, but has hardly any sugar. It's just darn tasty. Oh, and super easy. I don't even see the point in using Bisquick because pancakes from scratch are just about as easy. That said, if you really like the flavor of Bisquick, add about 1/3 cup of malted milk powder to the batter.

Oh, and if you've never made a poached egg, you must. The texture of them is superior to any other way you could cook an egg. What you want to do is get a large pan mostly full of water to a very low simmer (anything more than tiny bubbles and you risk break your yolks). Add about 1 to 2 Tbsp white vinegar - this changes the pH of the water and helps keep the whites together. Crack 3 eggs into a mug (use several mugs if you want more than 3). When the water is barely simmering, pour your eggs from your mug(s) into the water, cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let it sit for 5-7 minutes until the whites are set but the yolk is still soft. This is a really easy technique that works really well.

There you go. Longest post every about breakfast. And you witnessed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment