Monday, September 20, 2010

Joy of Joys

Let's get the meeting started. My name is Jennifer, and I am a coconut addict. I know that I have no control over my addiction. I know that I cannot have only on Almond Joy. Or only one piece of Almond Joy cake.

Which reminds me. Almond Joy cake is probably my favorite cake ever. Take a moment and put aside your feelings toward coconut if they are not favorable, because this cake has changed people's minds.

It's sweet and kind of gooey and delicious and satisfying and anything you could want from your cake. Even if you don't like coconut. (By the way, we can't be friends if you don't. I just don't see it working out.)


Almond Joy Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix (or devils food or what have you)
1 can condensed milk
1/2 can coconut cream (found in the drink mix isle)
1 regular container whipped cream
1/2 bag coconut
1/8 cup sliced almonds
1/2 tsp almond extract
Chocolate bar for chocolate shavings, if desired.

1. Bake cake in 13 by 9 inch pan as directed on the box. Allow cake to cool.
2. When cake is cool, take a straw and poles lots of holes in the cake. Suck cake out from straw (that's the  best part. And yes, you have to do that part. It's part of the recipe). Mix the 1/2 can of coconut cream (stir it real good because it separates) and can of condensed milk. Pour over the cake evenly.
3. Add almond extract to whipped cream and stir until combined. Spread over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with the coconut, almonds, and chocolate shavings. Store in the refrigerator.

I really do have an unhealthy love for this cake. I mean, it's beautiful. My mom used to make it when I was a kid, but I hadn't had it for probably 10 years when in college it popped into my mind and I had to make it. I don't know anyone who doesn't like this.


Even if you don't like coconut (seriously, we can't be friends) you should try this. It could change your mind (and you really should change your mind about it because I would like to be friends).

By the way, I apologize for not having prettier pictures. I just have a hard time justifying dirtying a plate just so you don't have to see the cake in the pan. And my camera is never around when it's on a plate. And, let's be honest, it doesn't stay on the plate very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment